It’s the 4th of July 2023 – time to start preparing for our once-in-a-lifetime father and daughter trip through the U.S.!
This year, we are planning to travel the U.S. from east to west and then a major roadtrip to major national parks and other great sights. Perhaps we will find some time to write about our adventures in the Travel blog.
Why once in a lifetime?
- After more than 30 years of working day in and day out, I have the opportunity to have a vacation for six weeks in a row, for the first time in my life.
- My daughter is currently very interested in the U.S., she even considers the possibility to go to high school for a year in the U.S.
- She is now old enough to speak and understand English on a daily basis and also old enough to “survive” my kind of travelling with lots of location changes, long distance drives and wilderness hiking.
So what’s the plan?
- We want to check off some things from our bucket list, predominantly with these items:
- Visit New York City
- Travel by train for a part of our trip
- Visit David with his family and finally get to know his youngest son
- Go to Disneyland
- Yellowstone Nationalpark is a must
And what’s our time frame?
- We will be travelling during the whole summer school vacation period in Baden-Württemberg, so we will lift off from FRA on July, 28th and touch down again on Sept, 9th.
I wouldn’t be myself if I didn’t prepare a huge online table detailling our itinerary, things to do, where to stay and so on. Currently I am working on it on a daily basis, adding hotels, attractions and prices to refine our trip.
At the same time I am re-evaluating what items to take with us – especially in the area of technical equipment. For years, I always relied on my “Techniktüte” – a Kodak branded plastic bag with all kinds of cables, power supplies, adapter etc necessary while on the road. But due to Covid and technical development I just had to realise: The content of this bag is totally outdated – I need new stuff! … perhaps a good idea to write a separate post on the new equipment we want to travel with.